Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Bring on the latkes!

We had two full days back in town before we hit the road again and left for a weekend trip to Pennsylvania.  Every alternating year my husband's family Hanukkah party is at my Mother-in-law's house in the Baltimore area, and every other year, it is held at her sister's house in PA.  We went up on Saturday, spent a nice evening with my in-laws, SIL and nephew, and then attended the Hanukkah party with the whole family on Sunday at Aunt Miriam's house. 


It was a great day and I love getting to spend time with Jeff's relatives.  One of Jeff's cousins is pregnant and by this time next year, the family picture will be including one more.  No longer will Samantha be the youngest in attendance.  I think it is really wonderful to have a long standing tradition like this one and see the big group picture taken every year get bigger and bigger.

Aunt Miriam was worried that her staircase is not going to be able to bear the weight of all of us on it for the picture.  So far, we did okay and made it another year. But it is a valid concern.  Somehow, I've become the official photographer of the group picture and set it up on a tripod, on self-timer.  I didn't realize this job title was going to be permanent until it occurred to me that I've taken the picture every year since Uncle Joe (Aunt Miriam's husband) passed away.

I wish there was a better way to organize the group and configure us in a way that you can clearly see all of our faces and no one gets lost in the shuffle.  This is a huge group to try to manage and at the end of the day, it is a small battle just getting everyone in front of the camera.

I think next year I am going to have a plan and map out places for us all to stand; possibly 5 rows of 6, in varying heights.  Put it down on paper and give everyone a copy. Then when it is time to take the picture, everyone can instantly go to their suggested spot and be ready to say cheese.  It will be a much tighter, neater configuration.

The big family picture taken each year at the Hanukkah party is about to get an overhaul.  I hope the family is ready for it.  And if not, then someone else can happily take over as the photographer.  I pride myself in the pictures I take.  I refuse to send out blurry ones and go crazy cropping and zooming all my photos before sending out my monthly batch. 

I look forward to this challenge and can't wait for next year's Hanukkah party to give it a little of Robyn's picture taking pizazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment